Online

See all articles

Retirement time for Woodside's Enfield

Operator plans to switch off the taps and disconnect FPSO before the end of this year

Woodside Petroleum has taken the initial regulatory steps to permantly shut down the Enfield oilfield and decommission the Nganhurra floating production, storage and offloading vessel later this year.

The Enfield project has been in production since 24 July 2006; it was the first of a series of oil developments in the Exmouth sub-basin including Stybarrow, Vincent/Van Gogh  and Pyrenees.

Output peaked at Enfield in mid-September 2006 at 74,000 barrels per day, which was below the rate Woodside had anticipated.

Reservoir issues prevented the field from reaching Woodside's pre-development expectations.

In 2016, the field produced just over 1 million barrels net to Woodside.

Woodside has filed an environment plan with the national regulator Nopsema to perform certain field activities to support the "cessation of production activities" at Enfield.

Woodside plans to flush the subsea and topside infrastructure prior to disconnecting the FPSO Nganhurra, remove the turret mooring system, and isolate and preserve the subsea infrastructure in preparation for future decommissioning activities.

The Perth-based company owns a 60% operating stake in the field in Block WA-28-L with Mitsui holding the other 40%.