Online

See all articles

Tullow picks up Ivory Coast blocks

Work on onshore licences to start immediately with a full tensor gradiometry survey planned in early 2018

London-based company Tullow Oil has been awarded four onshore licences in the Ivory Coast.

Tullow has been awarded a 90% interest in blocks CI 518, CI519, CI301 and CI302, with national oil company Petroci holding the remaining 10% equity.

The blocks cover 5053 square kilometres along the country's coastline, mostly to the west of Abidjan.

Tullow said the acreage complemented its existing exploration portfolio, lying in a proven petroleum system which it added was indicated by multiple oil seeps and past production from the Eboinda oil sands.

The company will start work at the blocks immediately and plans to carry out a full tensor gradiometry survey in early 2018 to assess the potential of the licenses and guide future seismic acquisitions.

Tullow has been operating in the Ivory Coast for 20 years and has a non-operated position in the offshore Espoir field.