Duo flow testing Polish shale probe

US oil major ConocoPhillips and London-listed 3Legs Resources are conducting a long-term flow test on a horizontal shale gas well in Poland’s Baltic basin.

3Legs chief executive Kamlesh Parmar said that the Lublewo LEP-1ST1H lateral probe has to date flowed from the beginning without assistance.

The operation was begun on 6 August after the company completed a 25-stage fracture of the long horizontal.

Testing was suspended on Tuesday to allow for the installation of bottom hole pressure gauges and has since resumed.

The London-listed explorer said the well continues to flow back frac fluid and hydrocarbons, and as of Thursday around 12% of the frac fluid originally injected had been recovered

The test aims to gauge the well’s long-term potential as well as that of the wider Sasino shale formation, and could be followed by pilot production and a multi-well exploration programme, 3Legs Resources has said.

The probe is the last well in the UK junior’s $63 million work programme with US major ConocoPhillips.

ConocoPhillips operates the western Baltic basin Lebork concession on a 70% interest with 3Legs Resources holding the remaining 30%.

The horizontal is the third to be sunk by 3Legs Resources into Polish shale after a pair of wells in 2011, Lebien LE-2H and Warblino LE-1H, that both flowed gas but whose initial rates were sub-commercial.

Newsletter signup

User

Become an Upstream member!

Membership includes a subscription to our weekly newspaper providing in-depth news from the energy industry, plus full-access to this site and its archives. Still not convinced? Try our free trial.

Already a member?

Login