Santos to re-enter Amadeus well

Australia: Santos is preparing to re-enter the Mt Kitty-1 well

Australian independent Santos is preparing to re-enter the Mt Kitty-1 exploration well in the Northern Territory's onshore Amadeus basin.

Joint venture partner Central Petroleum said on Wednesday it had been advised by Santos that it planned to commence re-entry works to complete its evaluation of the well before plugging and suspending it for future use.

Work at thee Mt Kitty-1 well was put on hold in April when logging operations were interrupted following an incident with the drilling rig.

Following the completion of the re-entry operations and evaluation of the well, the joint venture plans to carry out a resource estimation and economics study and plan any future work programme EP 125.

Mt Kitty-1 was designed to evaluate the quality of the Heavitree formation reservoir section, where elevated gas readings were observed during drilling.

The well intersected 109 metres of Heavitree formation and flowed at an initial rate of 500,000 cubic feet per day.

Santos holds a 70% operated stake in EP 125, with Central holding the remaining 30% interest.

Newsletter signup

User

Become an Upstream member!

Membership includes a subscription to our weekly newspaper providing in-depth news from the energy industry, plus full-access to this site and its archives. Still not convinced? Try our free trial.

Already a member?

Login