Apache hands Subsea 7 Julimar Surf

Surfs up: Subsea 7 has been awarded the subsea, umbilicals, risers and flowlines contract for Apache's Julimar development

UK-based engineering and construction company Subsea 7 has been awarded a subsea, umbilicals, risers and flowlines contract by US independent Apache for the Julimar development, off Western Australia.

The $100 million contract covers the transport, installation and pre-commissioning of subsea umbilicals, manifolds and diver-less tie-in spools.

Subsea 7 said project management and engineering would start immediately from its offices in Perth, Western Australia, with offshore operations scheduled to commence in late 2014.

The Julimar development includes the Julimar and Brunello gas fields which lie in exploration permit WA-356-P, about 180 kilometres west-north-west of Dampier, and will feed the Chevron-operated Wheatstone project.

The Julimar development consists of subsea gas production wells drilled from three drill centers and two satellite locations.

Each of the wells will be tied into a subsea manifold which will in turn be connected using intra-field flowlines and linked to the offshore Wheatstone platform by twin raw gas production lines.

Apache holds a 65% operating interest in the Julimar development, with Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company owning the remaining 35%.


This article has been amended from the original to reflect Kufpec's interest in Julimar is 35%, not 25% as originally stated.

Newsletter signup


Become an Upstream member!

Membership includes a subscription to our weekly newspaper providing in-depth news from the energy industry, plus full-access to this site and its archives. Still not convinced? Try our free trial.

Already a member?