Heating up: BP has teamed up with Rosneft as international majors look to explore Russia's shale plays
Total, Lukoil finalise shale tie-up
23 May 2014 10:37 GMT
Total ‘grabs Russian shale oil blocks’
03 April 2014 10:28 GMT
Bazhenov shale in focus for Russia and partners
14 March 2014 12:00 GMT
26 May 2014 03:41 GMT
The pair signed the agreement over the weekend which will see the duo target and, in the event of exploration success, develop the Domanik formations in Russia’s Volga-Urals region.
Under the agreement, BP will compensate part of Rosneft’s historical backcosts for exploring the formations and provide carry financing of up to $300 million for the pilot project.
BP said the pilot programme would be carried out in two phases at licence blocks in the Orenburg region.
Rosneft will hold a 51% interest in the joint venture, with BP holding the remaining 49% equity.
The deal between BP and Rosneft came just days after Total and Lukoil finalised a deal to team up and explore the Bazhenov shale oil play in western Siberia.
The US Energy Information Administration estimates Russia holds 75 billion barrels recoverable shale oil resources, placing it ahead of the US and China which are estimated to hold 58 billion and 32 billion barrels respectively.
Your message has been sent
E-mail this to a friend.
Membership includes a subscription to our weekly newspaper providing in-depth news from the energy industry, plus full-access to this site and its archives. Still not convinced? Try our free trial.
Already a member?
News from other NHST publications
All material published in the newspaper and on upstreamonline.com are Upstream's copyrighted material. Redistribution of any kind without a prior written permission of Upstream (including but not restricted to, redistribution by e-mail, publishing in part on your company's Intranet and publishing on Internet) of any material published by Upstream, will violate Upstream's copyright, and is prohibited by law. You may, however, download material from Upstream for your own personal use.
To protect your subscription investment, we've instituted a security system to protect against the electronic redistribution of copyrighted Upstream Online content.