Shell has made a material discovery at its deep-water Blacktip North prospect in the US Gulf of Mexico and is wasting no time in considering potential development options.

The well, in the operator's Perdido Corridor located 354 kilometres (220 miles) south-southeast of Houston, Texas hit about 91 metres (300 feet) of net oil pay at multiple levels. The well was drilled to a total measured depth of 8464 metres (27,770 feet).

No early resource estimate was given. Further evaluation of the discovery is under way to determine future development options, Shell said.

“The Blacktip North prospect is the latest example of discovering new resources in our advantaged corridors,” said Paul Goodfellow, executive vice president of deep water for Shell.

“Our strategic positions, like the Perdido Corridor, are at the heart of value creation in the Gulf of Mexico, and they represent an opportunity to use our existing infrastructure to unlock the full-value potential of our discoveries.”

Blacktip North joins Blacktip and Leopard on the list of recent discoveries made by the Anglo-Dutch supermajor in the Perdido Corridor, where the company's Great White, Silvertip and Tobago fields are already producing.

Shell earlier this year took the final investment decision on its Whale deep-water development, also located in the Perdido Corridor.

Blacktip North is located on Alaminos Canyon Block 336, about 7.2 kilometres (4.5 miles) northeast of the Blacktip discovery and about 68 kilometres from the company's Perdido Spar, where Shell began production in the Perdido Corridor in 2010.

Shell Offshore is operator of the Blacktip North, holding a 89.49% interest, with Repsol E&P USA holding the remaining 10.51% interest.