Equinor has secured a final permit from authorities to sink a wildcat at the Appolonia prospect in the Norwegian Sea, with drilling set to kick off shortly.

The 6407/1-8S probe is set to be drilled next month by semi-submersible West Hercules in Equinor-operated production licence 263 on the Halten terrace, with an optional sidetrack designated 6407/1-8A.

The well will target hydrocarbons in sandstone sequences in the Fangst and Baat formations in a water depth of 295 metres.

It will be the first exploration well to be drilled in the licence, operated by state-controlled Equinor with an 80% stake with partner Pandion Energy on the remaining 20%.