Thailand’s national upstream company PTTEP and Algerian state-owned counterpart Sonatrach have achieved first oil at the Hassi Bir Rekaiz project onshore Algeria.

PTTEP confirmed that the co-venturers have brought on stream Hassi Bir Rekaiz and the targeted production rate is 13,000 barrels per day of crude.

The Thai company noted the Algerian project would both boost its total production volumes and support the long-term growth of the company.

The onshore Hassi Bir Rekaiz project encompasses blocks 443a, 424a, 414 extension and 415 extension and covers a total of 1916 square kilometres in the eastern part of Algeria.

The project hosts fields including Semhari, Semhari East, Mouia Aissa, Rhourde Abadje, Oglat El Bachir, Bou Goufa and Rhourd Ez Zita.

Sonatrach has 51% equity in the project with PTTEP holding the remaining 49% stake.